Google Hangouts, Skype, and Zoom are similar; each tool provides video chat, written chat, and screensharing for groups of two or more people.
We chose to use Zoom as the video provider for QiqoChat. That means every time you open a video chat on Qiqo, you are using Zoom.
Qiqo extends Zoom functionality by “wrapping” Zoom video chats with additional functionality:
- Breakout Rooms: After you sign in and click “Participate” in a Qiqo live event (example) you arrive at the main table. You will see 10 breakout rooms on the left (see the screenshot below). When a participant clicks on a table name, they will open up the page for that breakout room. When they click the “Join Video” button, the Zoom video chat for that breakout room will open.
- Participant Profiles: When a user enters a breakout room, their profile photo is visible. Each participant can see who is in which room and make a decision about which conversation they want to join. With their profile, each participant can share some basic info about themselves, making it easy for them to connect 1-1 and build relationships.
- Collaborative Notes: Each breakout room has a notes page on the right hand side (see the screenshot below). As the creator of the event, you can replace this notes page with a Google Doc or any other collaborative tool so that people can interact with it while they use Zoom video chat.
- Group Calendar: Anyone in your circle (or just the admin) can schedule a Zoom video chat which shows up on the group calendar. This calendar provides continuity between events and is connected to a weekly newsletter which announces upcoming events every Monday morning, saving you time and making it more likely that people who attended previous events attend the next one (or even schedule their own!).
- Additional Tools: All your participants become members of your “circle” on Qiqo. The group calendar is just one of the collaborative tools in your circle. Here is a list of all tools on Qiqo.
- Per-Minute Pricing: We are big fans of Zoom, and we think their $15/month pro account is very reasonably priced. If you want the functionality of Zoom, but do not use it enough to justify the $15/month subscription, then there is a pay-per-minute option to use Zoom on Qiqo. Any Qiqo user can set this up at this link, whether or not they have created a circle. The price is just 1¢/min per participant. You will receive a customized link which you can use to invite participants to your meeting space. Here’s mine! https://qiqochat.com/meet/Lucas_from_Qiqo